Transportation – Non-emergency transportation for various destinations is provided by Hancock County Senior Services (HCSS) for county residents 60 years of age and over and by Hancock Area Rural Transit (HART) for residents under 60 years of age.  Vehicles are available Monday to Friday from 7AM to 5PM.  Wheelchair transportation is also available. We offer limited service to out-of-county destinations at a premium fare.

Appointments are scheduled first come-first served.  Call as early as possible, so the transportation coordinator can reserve a time for you.  Seniors age 60 and over, ride to essential destinations for a donation.  Those under 60 years of age ride with HART for a nominal fare of $4 per stop.  Seniors can also ride with HART to non-essential destinations for a nominal fee of $4 per stop.

Homemaker – Our staff provides housekeeping assistance to seniors and the disabled who need part-time help with household tasks, such as laundry, meal preparation, and cleaning.  Income based fee is charged.

Medicare Counseling Assistance Available by Appointment.  Phone 317-462-3758 We are observing strict COVID-19 procotols for these appointments.

Respite & Assisted Care – Staff provides respite care to relieve a regular caregiver by providing non-medical, in-home supervision to frail seniors or persons with disabilities. Assistance is also provided to individuals who need help with activities of daily living. A nominal fee is charged for this service.  Income based fee is charged.

Handyman – Our handyman provides minor home repairs for a donation.

Volunteer Services – Volunteers reduce isolation with companionship and assistance for the frail and homebound. Donations appreciated.

Telephone Reassurance – Telephone calls are made to isolated, frail seniors or those with disabilities to check on and reassure them. Donations appreciated.

Information & Referral – The agency has trained personnel who will answer questions about services and community resources and will assist with the appropriate referrals.

Legal Assistance – By appointment only.  First Wednesday of each month. An attorney or paralegal from Senior Law Project Outreach at Indiana Legal Services visits the Hancock County Senior Services office on the first Wednesday of each month to do new client intake interviews.  Services are limited to seniors age 60+ who are unable to retain a private attorney.  Please bring any paperwork that may be relevant to your legal issue.  We are observing strict COVID19 protocols for these sessions.

Equipment Loaning –  By appointment only.  We are observing strict COVID19 procotols.  To schedule an appointment to pickup, return, or donate, call 317-462-3758.

Hancock County Senior Services (HCSS) /Hancock Area Rural Transit (HART)


HCSS/HART operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.  Any person who believes she or he has been aggrieved by any unlawful discriminatory practice under Title VI may file a complaint with HCSS/HART. 

For more information on HCSS/HART civil rights program, and the procedures to file a complaint, contact 317-462-3758, (TTY 800-743-3333); email; or visit our administrative office at 1870 Fields Blvd, Greenfield, IN 46140.  For more information, visit

Notifying the Public of Rights Under Title VI 

A complainant may file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration by filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, Attention: Title VI Program Coordinator, East Building, 5th Floor-TCR, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE Washington, DC, 20590. 

If information is needed in another language, contact 317-462-3758.                      Si necesita informaciĆ³n en otro idioma, a continuaciĆ³n, se pone en contacto con 317-462-3758.

 Note: Transit system should ensure the other language information is also provided in any languages spoken by LEP populations that meet the Safe Harbor threshold.